Found this recipe in the August 2013 issue of Instyle from award winning chef Michael Chiarello and it was love at first sight. I knew I HAD to make it immediately. Since going Paleo, I’m always amazed at the versatility of cauliflower. I’ve made cauliflower mash and cauliflower rice, why has it not occurred to me to slice and grill?
Chef Chiarello’s recipe calls for cooking on the grill using a cast iron skillet. I was in a rush and had other things going on that night and decided to do this stove top. Turned out perfecto.
- 1-2 large cauliflower heads
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp grapeseed oil
- sea salt
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- cast iron skillet
- Keep core and stalk on cauliflower until after you cut into slices.
- Take a large knife and cut cauliflower lengthwise into ½ inch slices.
- Cut away the stalk (only the base) from the bottom of each slice.
- Heat butter and oil in cast iron skillet on high heat.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper over each side of the cauliflower steaks.
- Place steaks on hot skillet and cook until they show a caramelized crust (5-6 mins).
- When both sides are golden brown, transfer to plate, sprinkle with Parmesan.